10.24.2007

Keeping the main thing the main thing...

Today I choose to live a day of integrity.
Today I choose to not get offended and to forgive quickly.
Today I choose to be a loving mother and an encouraging wife.
Today I choose to walk forward in my relationship with Christ.

So many times we try to accomplish more than God has put on our plates. Last week I had a friend relay to me that my plate was full. That it was bigger than a platter and it looked more like a lazy susan. I know that there is a lot that I am involved in...my life seems to take on a life of it's own when I am not diligent to keep an eye on what is put on me. Like a lazy susan it can spin out of control. I have to resubmit my calendar to God it seems on an hourly basis. My favorite question right now for Him seems to be "Lord, what is my role in this?". He has been faithful to tell me. Sometimes praying for the ministry is enough. Sometimes I don't have to put my hand to the plow, I just have to lend my faith to the cause.

My duties right now include homeschooling the kids and ministering to the needs of my family. The main thing needs to be the main thing ~ anything beyond that is extracurricular. There are things that I have to do to help my husband with the business, with the investments, but my main responsible is to lift him up in prayer, to encourage him, and to do him good and not harm all the days of my life - showing respect and honor all along the way.

Galatians 6:2 says "Carry each other's burdens and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." I have learned that there is a difference between burdens (crisis) and knapsacks (daily responsibilities). In the book Boundaries by Dr. Cloud and Dr. Townsend this is the recurring theme. There are times of triage when it is an emergency, and there are times of long term care when you can schedule it. The ability to tell the difference is the key. I have a heart to serve others, to help, to be a blessing. However, this can not be done at the sacrifice of my own duties and God given responsibilities. There are emergencies. There are times when it's a "right now" moment. There are responsibilities that can be rescheduled in times of crisis, but not every situation that crosses my path is a crisis.

"But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him. The next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper. 'Look after him,' he said, 'and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.'" Luke 10:33-35

Even in the story of the Good Samaritan he stopped long enough to do triage, to get the help the person needed but he was diligent to get back to his duty and purpose in passing through in the first place. Many would have considered that a crisis and put their entire life on hold, dropped everything that they were doing to minister to this man. I think that we need to be very clear in what our responsibilities are in every situation. What worked yesterday might not work today. The battle plan is different every day. Just ask Joshua. Some days we pull out the sword and sometimes we just have to march and shout.

Lord, I love you and I give you all the power, the honor and the glory. Thank you for today, the gift of the present. Let me not take your gift of time for granted, let me honor you in my daily decisions on my commitments and my time. Lord let your plan be my plan. Give me the ears to hear your voice and grant me a willing spirit to do your will Lord. In Jesus mighty name I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment