3.19.2008

Still Persevering

Through perseverance the snail reached the ark. ~ anonymous

"That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day." 2 Timothy 1:12

I believe that the hardest thing to do is to remain in the darkness as God is working out our destiny. Not that we aren't still righteous, or that we are "back sliding" but that God has wrapped his cloak around us so that we can not see what he is doing for us. So what do you do in that place? When you can't see or hear what Jesus is doing with your life?

1. Believe - God's promises, prophecies, hold on to them.
I know a few years ago when I was really walking in the "valley of death" and didn't think that I was going to make it out that one of our Pastors had given me a word of prophesy and it had been recorded during our church service. I listened to it every time that I thought about giving up and giving in. I read every verse I could find on that area of my life and sought out every one of the promises God gave for that area of my life. Find them and believe them.

2. Abide - Fellowship with the Lord every day. Stay plugged in to your Bible, talk to Him about what you are feeling through the darkness. He knows that you are struggling with this area. He designed it, He is holding you close, don't you think that he can feel you cringe? Talk to Him about it. Cry, it's okay He's big enough to handle your pain and your anger.

3. Work Steadily - at our God-given duties no matter how difficult or mundane. Do what you know to do, do the last thing he said and keep doing it. Don't give up, don't lay down and expect it to just past. There are things that he has given you to put your hand to. Keep doing those things, whatever they are until He tells you to move, or sheds new light.

4. Overcome - (this is my hardest one) Overcome the various offenses and subtle compromises they enemy would send to stumble us spiritually or prompt us to settle for less than God's best. Don't lose your Christianity and walk back to the old ways of comfort, don't let someone say something to spin you in a different direction. Don't settle for less than the plan that God is working out for you. Don't give up and don't give in.

5. Refuse - temptation, especially the desire to run ahead of God. These places of darkness it's easy to want to light our own lamp and keep moving in a self directed manner. Don't do it, hang out in the dark until God sheds his own light.

Isaiah 50:10-11

Who among you fears the LORD
and obeys the word of his servant?
Let him who walks in the dark,
who has no light,
trust in the name of the LORD
and rely on his God.

But now, all you who light fires
and provide yourselves with flaming torches,
go, walk in the light of your fires
and of the torches you have set ablaze.
This is what you shall receive from my hand:
You will lie down in torment.

I was talking to a friend of mine a few months ago and she reminded me that God is a gentleman and that he will open the door for me. I don't have to do it on my own. That really has remained with me and it's a visual that I can hold on to when I want to run ahead of God. As a natural leader I have found that when I am struggling the most is when God is trying to teach me to be led. Especially by him or his delegated authority for a certain area of my life.

In Greg Hinnant's book Walking in His Ways, he states, "If we demand explanations, we will disobey His checks every time - and remain without revelation of His plan." Booyah! There ya go. It's like with our own children, "Don't do this", and the child responds, "Why?" How often I have berated God with questions. Why? Why not? She can, why can't I? Even now as I hear my own voice I am reminded of my daughter at 3. That's how I sound to God every time I demand to know the whole plan. My mentor has said to me close to a million times, "What may be okay for others, may not be okay for you." That is her response to my whys. It's a nice way of saying, "Because I or He said so".

Abraham waited 24 years for the fulfillment of God's promise of Issac. He did it every way he thought that he could on his own. He took a concubine and did have a child but that wasn't God's plan that was Abraham and Sarah's plan. He created his own way and lit his own torch. I think the revelation that God is giving me this morning is that when we do that, he then has double the work load. He has to continue to work on His plan for us but then he also has to extinguish our own connived torches. I believe that to be the pain that we suffer during our perseverance.

Lord, I love you and I thank you. It's been a dark few days but as you have opened you cape enough this morning to give a glimpse of what you are doing for me I am renewed. Lord, I pray that all of the torches that I have ever lit on my own, that you would extinguish them. Lord, I don't want to carry myself in a place of honor, I want to carry you. I know that it is through my suffering that you allow me to minister your love. That's why you created me and Lord I thank you for your provision for my life and the lives of my children. Lord, I thank you for the beautiful family that you have given me. I thank you for a future and a promise from you. I give you all the glory, all the honor and all the praise. In Jesus' mighty name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment