1.10.2008

God Says Yes You Can

Exodus 4:13, "But Moses said, "O Lord, please send someone else to do it."

Many times there is something that God is asking of us that we wish we could get someone else to do for us. We know it's going to be an uphill climb and our faith may not be exactly where God would want it to be, and Tada we are saying, Oh Lord, please send someone else. It essentially says, God I can't.

What I love is that this is Moses. God's chosen mouthpiece. The man appointed to deliver the people, the Deliverer. Moses stuttered. Moses knew he stuttered. So the Lord made PROVISION for Moses weakness in a way that Moses could understand. I firmly believe that God could have made Moses' stutter go away and used him. I believe that was God's perfect will for Moses, but Moses called out for mercy and God said, okay, then your brother Aaron will do it.

Exodus 4:14-16, "Then the LORD's anger burned against Moses and he said, "What about your brother, Aaron the Levite? I know he can speak well. He is already on his way to meet you, and his heart will be glad when he sees you. You shall speak to him and put words in his mouth; I will help both of you speak and will teach you what to do. He will speak to the people for you, and it will be as if he were your mouth and as if you were God to him."

The Lord's anger burned at Moses, but why? In this instance it was a lack of faith. But Look what the Lord says about Moses.

Deuteronomy 12:7, "But this is not true of my servant Moses; he is faithful in all my house."

But where was Moses faith in the beginning? Why didn't Moses believe that God could heal him? He didn't know God well enough in the beginning. As Moses began to "Be there" with God. As he met with him on the Mount, as he conversed with Him. His faith began to increase. He practiced his faith with God. He hadn't seen God separate the Red Sea at this point. That doesn't happen until 10 chapters later.

But he has seen the burning bush. So he has some experience with God. God had given him the staff, shown his his healing power and yet still Moses said, Lord, I am slow to speech please send someone else.

How many times have we done that ourselves. God has given us everything that we need to accomplish his will and yet we say, Lord, I am not ready. Who decides if we are ready? Who created time to begin with. The Lord is quick. He is not a man of haste. He created everything around us in 6 days. 6 Days isn't a very long time when you think about it. And I know some of you probably don't believe that it was 6 days like our 6 days....but that's what I believe. If you can't believe the first book of the Bible how are you going to believe the rest of it? Anyway, that is way off topic.

I have been struggling with God telling me things and me thinking that I am disqualified. I struggled with the fact that I was a smoker and that smokers couldn't be ministers, (God has delivered me from myself and my own weakness). Then God hit me with, what's the difference between caffeine and nicotine. They are both addictive and you put both of them before me. You have to have your coffee in the morning before you can come see me, much like you used to have to have that cigarette before you could make that pot of coffee. So I have given up my morning Joe and have been fasting caffeine. As I write this I am drinking a cup of decaf Joe that I made about 20 minutes ago. I prayed first this morning and already knew my scriptures before I broke away to make the pot.

So many times we struggle with our flesh and convince ourselves that surely God can't use me. I can't even walk away from __________, I am still addicted to ______________, but you know what. God used Moses, wanted to use Moses, even made provision for his weakness and he will you and I too. I hid my addictions for a long time. Probably not very well and I probably wasn't fooling anyone along the way. But as I started to say to my leaders, I am struggling with this, I found a new grace for myself. Quitting smoking wasn't easy, but after the first 24 hours, when I realized I hadn't died I was able to quit wanting one. I have friends and family that smoke and at this point I can honestly say that it doesn't appeal to me at all. But that came in me trusting God enough to deliver me from it. From me laying at the cross and saying Lord, I know that you are requiring this of me. Here you go. It has been the same with caffeine. I was supposed to have this excruciating headaches, I read all up on withdrawal symptoms and let me tell you, I have had not one. Why? Is it some great miracle, to me it is. As I was laying in bed last night I said to my husband, "I have given up nicotine and caffeine and I am not dead."

So this is for all of my friends that are struggling right now. I am not throwing any quilt or condemnation your way. I am saying, that it is possible. That God can meet you in that place and deliver you from those things that keep you from jumping over the cliff for him because you don't think you are worthy. I don't care what it is, he has a provision. He has a plan. Stop beating yourself up about it, give it to Him and let Him handle it for you.

Lord, I pray that as we continue to walk on this journey, as we continue to learn to count on you that you will remind us of your provision and of your grace. Lord, there is nothing that you require of us that you didn't plan for. Even knowing that Jesus was going to have to come for our sins. You are a God of provision. There is no way to fail because you have already designed the fail safe plan. Lord, I love you and I honor your for your foresight into my being. That you know me and love me enough to provide for me everything I need to grow in you. Thank you Lord, I bless you and I honor you for all that you do. In Jesus Name I pray. Amen.


1 comment: