6.04.2009




I am a swimmer... I wanted to dance but I swam, I swam until... I realized I was too short to ever be a winner. But in my heart... I am a swimmer. There is something about the caress of the water, and the trust in your own lungs while flying that just appeals to me.

I was at my favorite little bookstore last night and a this magazine cover caught my attention. The artist's name is Eric Zener. There is just something about his work that resonates within my soul. Not that art hasn't spoken to me before but this cover just made me stop and stand there for a minute.

The name of the piece is "The Arrival". Let me try to articulate what my heart feels when I look at it. It's the culmination of climbing high, to the top of the dive board. It's looking out over the pool, knowing that others are watching, because you were taught as an infant to never swim alone. It's knowing that you are about to jump off of a perfectly grounded board... into the depths. It's holding your breath in anticipation. Anxiety dancing between your shoulder blades, the sound of your own heart in your ears. Walking one step, two, three.... bounce, bounce, bounce. Jump! Eyes closed even under the goggles, clouded goggles, you can't see through them anyway. Head first... the coolness of the water encompassed your body... The realization of survival... and a small splash set your mind at ease. Relaxation takes over as your body is pulled to the surface... submission is the only answer.

The piece says to me victory, survival... just below the surface, but yet so close to the end. This is how I feel right now. This is the best way I know to put my emotions into words. Just waiting to break the surface and to be able to open my eyes. To fill my lungs anew. So close...




No comments:

Post a Comment