6.30.2009

Summer and Daddys...

Ok, remember all that complaining I did about winter. I promise you I am reveling in summer. Every moment. I am browner than I have been in years. Peace has found me pool side. I just love this time of year... the food of summer, the laughs of the kids in the summer. Swimming. There is nothing about summer that I dislike... except maybe bee stings.

I have also spent a lot of time thinking about all my Daddy's...

I have my biological father. We are close, I am and forever will be his little girl. I learned a long time ago that we are as much a like as we are different and that's ok. I love him with all my heart and I know that he loves me... and that in and of itself is enough. I have come to appreciate him more as so many of my friends lose their Dad's. Off the top of my head I can think of oddles of my friends that don't have their Daddy's anymore and I am blessed. I am proud of my Daddy, he has in the last few months come out of a career that spanned the last 29 years of his life. He walked away from a desk job, to see the world. He is getting to chase an adventure, and I am so delighted for him. Go Daddy! GO!

I have a spiritual father. My biological Daddy isn't saved and has never been able to teach me biblical truths. God sent another wonderful, powerful man to do that for me. He's had a hard time of it health wise lately. I spent some time with him today. It just breaks my heart to see him lie there. His wisdom just oozes out... he doesn't even have to try. He has taught me so much. But the two quotes I will always remember... "Don't worry your pretty little head over it" and "Don't say anything you are going to have to repent for later". He always likes to remind me in times of crisis I have a big enough mess without my mouth adding to it. He always encourages me, always edifies me and I always know, that I am his and he is mine.

My Pappy, I miss that man, Lord, do I miss that man. All of his strength, and dignity. Blue blooded Yankee that he was, with his ruddy red cheeks and his clear blue eyes. Listerine and Old Spice that's what my Pappy was made of. So patient, and loving. Only once in all my years did he EVER raise his voice at me. I deserved it. He was my harbor in the storms of adolesence. His motto was, "I refuse to get upset over anything I have no control over". He gave me great teachings in politics. I am a conservative to this day because of him. He loved me... and always called me Pookie. Always. Even on things he mailed to my house which he did quite often.

My father in law... it's been a long 15 years. But he has fathered me. He has been God's provision more times that I can count. Just this year I went from being Ande's wife - to his daughter in law. He's had a hard life, he sometimes can have a hard heart. But he loves me, I know he does. I love him too, but don't tell him. He will just think I am out to get something. He has already given me everything I could ever need, in his son. He has blessed me. BLESSED me.

I think of the different faucets of men that God has put here on earth to teach me different loves that the Father has for me. I am blessed. I am loved. I am taught and accepted and fathered. I am blessed.

Lord, thank you for all the Daddy's. I love them all. Protect them Lord, lay your hand on them tonight. Give them peace, and rest and comfort. For all the nights they have so willingly done it for me. You are amazing.

1 comment:

  1. Can I say how much I just love you? Wow, we are way too much alike! Summer is my ABSOLUTE
    favorite! Absolute! Enjoy...

    ReplyDelete