12.20.2007

Be There!

Exodus 24:12, "And the LORD said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give thee tables of stone, and a law, and commandments which I have written; that thou mayest teach them." KJV emphasis added.

Isn't it funny that God had to tell Moses to be there. Come and then be here. It's kind of like waiting to have a date night with my husband, come and be with me, except he is watching the TV behind my head at the restaurant. He is physically with me but he is not engaged. His mind is else where and despite the fact that I love to be physically close to him, I long for the intimacy that comes when he is "being there". When he has turned his attention to me and isn't distracted by anything else going on.

I truly believe that is what God is saying to Moses. Come up to the mount, and be there. Just be. Be engaged, be filled up with my presence. I think that is what God wants from all of us. He is the bridegroom, he has chosen us, he is courting us, and he wants our full attention. Oh believe me this time of year especially we can get wrapped up in the hustle and the bustle of the holidays, but when it comes down to it, what is more important to God? That my house be decorated perfectly or that I take the time to look him in the face and "be there". We all want to say that the holiday is about Christ, but how much time do we really spend with him running to and fro to gather goods from far away merchants?

The consensus among my friends this year is that this year God is impressing on all of us that less is more. We have all been the living the commercial Christmas all of our lives. But even now as we are growing, there is this calling to get back to the truth, the truth can and will set you free from sin, from debt and from trying to keep up with the Jones'. Christmas has it's roots in paganism, more so than Christianity. Every year Satan convinces us that we need more, our kids need more, we need bigger decorations. We lie to our kids about the "magic" of the holiday and tell them that some man is going to come down the chimney and leave them gifts. We drag them to the mall to have pictures taken on this man's lap then the other 364 days of the year we tell them not to talk to strangers, or to take candy from them.

God is calling us to righteousness, he is calling us to be faithful, he is calling us to patience and to obedience. I had quite a few people balk at me over the last few days as I told them I hadn't done any shopping yet. I haven't baked anything yet. See the thing is, we know that 2008 is going to be a year of exponential growth. But you can't have exponential without a base number. You have to have a base number to be multiplied. I am not a math whiz but I do remember that. So we have the option of entering 2008 with a positive number, a larger base number, or we have the option to enter in with a negative number, which no matter how many times you multiply it exponentially is a negative number. So we decided to not go into debt to pay for Christmas. We could, we have just opted not to.

All this revelation came with being with God. By taking the time to sit before him snot flowing and pouring out a mother's heart. By being real, and telling him that it was breaking my heart, that I wanted to do so much more for my family. It was arching off when I was a kid and my parents split around Christmas but we still had Christmas and if they could pull it off so could we. That was when God revealed the lies about credit and the fact that yes my parents had pulled it off but they paid for it for many years to come. I sat with him and let him hold my face in his hand and remind me once again that he is enough. The blessings that have come from that are exponential. I am already beginning to see the fruit of the faithfulness.

My daughter yesterday, my mini-me, preached to her grandmother about "It is better to give than to receive", even finding the reference in Acts. She is 8, that warms my heart better than any new robe or sweater could ever do. My husband and I came home last night and checked the mail, there was an anonymous card with a cashiers check in it. We have no way to know who sent it, but I do have my suspicions. I will be able to do something for my kids without going into debt. I will be able to have dinner Christmas Eve and bless other's around me out of the generosity of someone else. Isn't that what family is for? God provided in a way that I never would have imagined. How humbling it is to be on the receiving end.

So I say all of this to say, Be there. Be fully engaged with God. Even during the preparations, even while wrapping the gifts and singing Christmas carols. Find time to get with God, one on one face to face. You may be amazed at what he is trying to tell you. My word was patience is obedience. Just when I thought I couldn't hold out anymore he showed me his hand. He called me on it, so this morning I sit here finding his face to give him thanksgiving and praise. Yes I know that someone sent us a check, but I also know that the Holy Spirit laid it upon their heart. Ah HA...you know what else....they had to "Be there" to hear God's heart. They had to "Be There" to be obedient.

Deuteronomy 31:6, "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

Lord, let us know that you are always wanting to meet with us. You are never too busy, you are never too tired. You are always faithful, always loving, always waiting for us to be there. Lord, I am sorry that some days I make you wait all day on me. I am sorry that I consider my agenda more important than yours. Lord my heart for 2008 is to be exponentially a better woman of devotion to you. Lord, it is my heart to seek you every day first thing. Lord, if I can talk to you first every other conversation that happens throughout the day will be radically different. Lord, I can minister out of the overflow of your presence instead of out of the overflow of my caffeine. Lord, you knit my heart to yours more and more everyday. On the days that I do find you, that I do make time for you, Lord your revelation is overwhelming, the knowledge of you is powerful and it changes me day by day. I love you Lord, I am in love with you and your ways. I love your surprises and I love your Son and your Spirit. In Jesus Name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment