12.11.2007

Daddy Lift Me Up Part 4

2 Samuel 14:28-33, "Absalom lived two years in Jerusalem without seeing the king's face. Then Absalom sent for Joab in order to send him to the king, but Joab refused to come to him. So he sent a second time, but he refused to come. Then he said to his servants, "Look, Joab's field is next to mine, and he has barley there. Go and set it on fire." So Absalom's servants set the field on fire. Then Joab did go to Absalom's house and he said to him, "Why have your servants set my field on fire?" Absalom said to Joab, "Look, I sent word to you and said, 'Come here so I can send you to the king to ask, "Why have I come from Geshur? It would be better for me if I were still there!" ' Now then, I want to see the king's face, and if I am guilty of anything, let him put me to death." So Joab went to the king and told him this. Then the king summoned Absalom, and he came in and bowed down with his face to the ground before the king. And the king kissed Absalom."

In my continued study of David I know that at times he was the perfect example of the coming of Christ, but it seems after Bathsheba he just really has a hard time getting it right with his kids and his family. David had multiple wives and concubines and they all had his children. So he has children that are half brothers and sisters all living under one roof. Amnon another of David's sons raped Tamar who was Absalom's sister. They all had the same father which just really shows that more than one wife can make it difficult on the children. So Absalom after waiting for two years for his father King David to resolve the issue takes punishment into his own hands and has Amnon killed. Think of this young man avenging the defilement of his sister. Something I know that most brothers and fathers would do. However in this situation it also happens to be his half brother, and a son of his father.

After Absalom accomplishes his vengeance he flees Jerusalem and stays gone for three years. Three years he wanted for David to call him and say son it's okay come home. I forgive you and I love you. That message never got sent. Finally Joab concocts a way to get Absalom back into Jerusalem but King David says he can go to his own house but he can't see my face. This is a father talking about his son. This is David who is the king, but was once a small shepherd boy, that found so much forgiveness and grace in God's eyes. Who ran from Saul and doubted his anointing, now here he is essentially doing the same thing to his son. Yes vengeance shouldn't be ours, God is the punisher and the judge but in his mind I am convinced that he thought "If Dad isn't going to avenge Tamar than I will". This is a time when kinsman redeemers were very real and brothers were held accountable to take care of their sisters. You have to think culturally here, if it had been anyone but his half brother we would all be cheering at his valiant efforts.

David, however didn't welcome Absalom back into his arms the way the father did of the prodigal son in Luke. I can almost here him saying, "He can come back to the city but he better stay out of my face." Think of the rejection that Absalom must have felt. He was so eager to see his father and to receive his forgiveness that he set Joab's fields on fire. He was willing to do whatever it took to get an appointment with the king. Finally David relents and Absalom gets his moment at the throne and instead of a hug of a father he got the pardon of a King. He was devastated. His father, the hero, the giant slayer, think of the stories he grew up listening to. He defeated death more times than we can count, yet, he doesn't know how to run his household and he doesn't know how to pour out of the abundance of grace and love God has given to David himself onto his children. Absalom became bitter and angry. He set out to make things right. I am paraphrasing Beth Moore here, "If he couldn't get him in the home, He would get him in the throne".

Oh how we seek our father's approval. How we do everything to please them. We learn to wear masks, we learn to keep quiet, we learn to take the teaspoon. I pray that we learn to find forgiveness of ourselves in God and not in the humans around us. The other person doesn't have to ask forgiveness for us to give it to them. It is a decision within our own hearts. We release something whether they ever receive it or not. It kills the burden within ourselves and we are able to walk in the freedom. What a blessing that we aren't like Absalom that our Father God always has arms for us when we are ready to let go of our offenses and turn back to him.

I know that even now at 34 years old I can get overwhelmed. My commodity is time much like my husbands is money. If I don't have time as you all have heard before I can get anxious, he is the same way with money. There are still times that I wish I could crawl back into my Dad's old recliner and feel the safety of his smell, the way I was able to do years ago. That I could crawl back on his lap and let him assure me that everything is going to be okay. He would pick me up and carry me through the flood of my anxieties. But it doesn't work that way anymore does it? My Dad lives 400 miles away, I have a life here, he has a life there. He always wraps me in his arms when I get there. Like he has been waiting for me since the last time I left. But I also know that there are times that I have to call out to Jesus, and Father God. Daddy lift me up.

Lift me up out of my depression, my anxieties, my circumstances. Daddy lift me up to where you and Jesus live. Daddy lift me up and wrap my in your arms of love. I have tried, I have failed and my legs are tired of running in the other direction. Daddy lift me up. As I stand at church on a Sunday morning with both of my arms raised that is what I am saying. Just like when my children were little, they didn't have to say a word all they had to do was approach me with their arms up and I knew that they wanted me to pick them up. I know that God sees me I know that he hears my praise, "Your the best Daddy in the whole world, pick me up Daddy". Just like I did when I was little at the feet of my own father.

Psalms 5

Give ear to my words, O LORD,
consider my sighing.

Listen to my cry for help,
my King and my God,
for to you I pray.

In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice;
in the morning I lay my requests before you
and wait in expectation.

You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil;
with you the wicked cannot dwell.

The arrogant cannot stand in your presence;
you hate all who do wrong.

You destroy those who tell lies;
bloodthirsty and deceitful men
the LORD abhors.

But I, by your great mercy,
will come into your house;
in reverence will I bow down
toward your holy temple.

Lead me, O LORD, in your righteousness
because of my enemies—
make straight your way before me.

Not a word from their mouth can be trusted;
their heart is filled with destruction.
Their throat is an open grave;
with their tongue they speak deceit.

Declare them guilty, O God!
Let their intrigues be their downfall.
Banish them for their many sins,
for they have rebelled against you.

But let all who take refuge in you be glad;
let them ever sing for joy.
Spread your protection over them,
that those who love your name may rejoice in you.

For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield.


Father this morning I come to you and say Daddy lift me up. I have created a mess of my life, I can't do it without you. Today Father I just ask you to be my Daddy. To know that you are here with me today as I go through my circumstances. I will talk to you today, I will commune with you today. Father I need to feel your arms around me and your breath in my hair. Father let me rejoice in the birth of your Son. Pick me up above the circumstances so that I can see the face of the baby that you sacrificed for me. Let me again find the joy of my salvation as I look upon this season. Father let my focus be on your and your family instead of me and mine. You are so strong, so majestic, so awesome. Thank you for choosing me from the foundations of the earth for such a time as this. I love you Father, you are my first love. I have loved you since my first breath and I will love you for eternity. I lay my head upon you this morning and sigh with contentment. Thank you Father, bless you and yours. You are the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end, the Lion and the Lamb and today you are my Daddy. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.





1 comment:

  1. I loved this searies! I pray that Lord will give you many more!
    Cintia

    ReplyDelete