5.01.2008

Mighty Man of God

But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband. The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife. ~1 Corinthians 7:2-4

My husband and I met when we were young. We were both 21 and we knew it all. I had dated for years and had just come out of a long term relationship when I met him. We met and married within 4 weeks. Somehow I knew that this dreamer was going somewhere. I had a faith in him that was really idolotry now that I look back. My husband is the smartest person by far that I have ever met. (He married me didn't he? LOL) Though seriously I do mean that. He is a thinker and a doer. He is motivated soley by family. There is no drive to be rich...but there is motivation to provide for us.

This morning I was watching out the window as he loaded ladders on his truck, and I was struck with such a grief. His heart as a child and what he went to college for originally was to be a pilot. He has 20/20 vision, he has the aptitude (he aced the ASVAB twice), and he was not too tall. Somewhere along the line though the vision got tarnished, he opted to join the military, met me and now 14 years later here we are. Over the years he has floundered to find his way. He has over 100 credit hours of college in 7 different majors, starting from aeronautical engineering, ending with Construction Management because he decided to go practical instead of over the top. He is a math junkie...my children have picked up on that. They are all exceptional at math.

But this morning, as I watched out the window, as I watched him effortlessly load his truck, and hook up to his trailer I was hit with - He does this for you. God has really been so extravagant to reveal to me his love lately. This morning he gave me eyes to see my husband in a whole new light. I married a man who doesn't like me to work outside of the home. I have worked off and on as we have needed me to over the years - and I have been offered some great positions but it was always to him just a way to make it through a season. He likes me to be here at home, raising the kids, taking care of his castle while he goes out and slays the dragons. Sometimes in my own selfish ambition I want to run and do something that gets me accolades...he is always supportive in my need and will encourage me to run.

The place that I feel the safest is in his arms. I run to that place many times during the day and over the years he has learned to stop for that time and just stand there. It used to make him crazy but as I have been able to articulate that need he has been better to just be patient with me. There are things that make him feel honored that some would find utterly senseless. There is very rarely a time that my husband wakes up and gets out of the bed that I lag behind. Maybe twice a year and one of them would be the 3:45 wake up for the annual men only fishing trip.

We have learned to take moments when we can. Like Starbucks in the rain, or a materials run to Lowe's in the evening. We have three kids and we are involved in our church, our community, our own hobbies. Our yoke of marriage at this season is light. It seems to be such a natural response. We have finally figured out that we are on the same team. We have both learned to run to Papa for our needs, and how to come to each other full. We have learned to pray for and with one another. I don't "need" him. I love him and I want him, but my husband is not my source - for anything. I have released him from the altar that I placed him on when we got married. The pressure that he must have felt to live up to my expectations...has he ever let me down...you betcha...will he ever do it again...you betcha. But knowing that God is my source, that God is my provider and the Lover of my Soul allows me to let my husband be a mere mortal.

Praise the LORD, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name.
Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits-
who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion,
who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.
~Psalm 103:1-5

Lord, I thank you for him. The second greatest gift you ever gave me after your Son. Thank you Lord for teaching me to seek you first. Lord, thank you for drying every tear I have ever shed about my marriage. Thank you for hearing the desires of my heart and give him to me again Father. Thank you for openning my eyes this morning Father and renewing such a deep love and respect for him. I thank you for his heart...I thank you for being the father to my children. There is no other that I would ever want to fill that role. Thank you for being the Papa that loves to pour out His love...I choose to receive your love. I choose to see it all around me. Thank you. I love you...in Jesus' name. Amen

1 comment: