3.08.2010

Scars, The Common Bond

But Thomas, sometimes called the Twin, one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. The other disciples told him, "We saw the Master." But he said, "Unless I see the nail holes in his hands, put my finger in the nail holes, and stick my hand in his side, I won't believe it." Eight days later, his disciples were again in the room. This time Thomas was with them. Jesus came through the locked doors, stood among them, and said, "Peace to you." Then he focused his attention on Thomas. "Take your finger and examine my hands. Take your hand and stick it in my side. Don't be unbelieving. Believe." Thomas said, "My Master! My God!" Jesus said, "So, you believe because you've seen with your own eyes. Even better blessings are in store for those who believe without seeing." ~John 20:24-29 The Message

Even after resurrection, Jesus had scars.  He literally had been to hell and back, had risen from the dead. Thomas would not believe it was Jesus until he himself could see Jesus' scars.  The wounds were no longer gashed open, they were no longer oozing, the had become scars.  Scars no longer hurt, but they become almost a calling card of our past.  They represent new life, they represent being more than an overcomer.

As I attending a retreat with our wonderful little church this weekend there was a time set apart to just go listen to what God has to say to us. I love nothing more than to hold a pen in my hand and allow God to write me love letter.  He is always so good to meet with me and to tell me His words.  That's one of the main reasons I blog, because even as I write I trust Him to talk me through my own crisis.  It's how He talks to me.  As I was sitting there and listening this is what He laid upon my heart.

"Sometimes when you think you know it all especially about yourself I will come and mess with your theology.  I love you unlike anyone else can.  When are you going to understand that? I have called you to myself despite your self, despite your scars, I have scars, too. Trust me.  It's not what you expect.  It's so much more. Quit limiting me in your life.  Take the lid off.  Hold on Beautiful. Fear not, let me handle this."

The realization is that I am still walking around with bandages on.  Not because I am still in pain, not because the wounds need care, but because I still have lived in shame of them.  I have hid them from others around me.  I have shared only glimpses of my life with others.  I have only given them my best side and have not shared the scars that have remained not only to remind me, but others around me, of my past.

Saturday night, after this nice conversation He and I had, there was an opportunity to open up to with someone and to share my testimony. I was able to share the view of some of my scars to someone who is still dealing with wounds that are very painful.  God was able to let my scars give this person hope that God is still healing people just like them.  What a beautiful restoration, for both of us.  I don't live in the land of disqualified just because I have scars.  They don't have to live in the land of pain because God is still in the healing business.   What a blessing, what a great moment of reassurance.

"And they have defeated him by the blood of the Lamb and by their testimony. And they did not love their lives so much that they were afraid to die." Revelation 12:11

It takes Jesus, and us talking about our resurrection through Him, but the only way to have scars is to be hurt.  Sometimes that comes at the death of ourselves our desires, our dreams.  Sharing our testimony can feel pretty death like.  We just want to sweep it away.  We fret the judgement of man.  We wonder if we will be accepted, we live in the pain of our wounds instead of the salvation of our scars.  Scars mean we are still alive.  I have a friend whose husband is a wounded warrior.  Yes, he has scars, but scars mean that he is still here with us.  20 some surgeries later, his wounds are healing and all that will remain will be scars.  He has a testimony of conquering death and overcoming.  He doesn't see it that way, yet.  Until we accept our scars as a sign of life, we continue to lick them and keep them open.  We allow their pain to be an excuse to cause pain to others around us.  Collateral damages.

Wounds take time to become scars.  I envision WWII vets sitting together and showing each other the scars that give them a common bond.  They fought the good fight, they survived when they know so many others didn't and they share their scars as a testament of a life that continued.  I think that's what we the church need to be doing.  Sharing our scars, sharing the life that God has given us.  Not live in pain and shame of what God has done in our lives just because we don't want others to know of the places and the wars that we have fought. There is hope in scars.  There is life in scars.  There is a common bond in scars.

But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. ~Isaiah 53:5


Share


No comments:

Post a Comment