11.05.2007

Getting Free from Captivity

Today I choose to live a day of integrity.
Today I choose to not get offended and to forgive quickly.
Today I choose to be a loving mother and an encouraging wife.
Today I choose to walk forward in my relationship with Christ.
Today I choose to forgive myself the way that Christ has forgiven me.
Today I choose to walk in the joy of the Lord.
Today I choose to humble myself.
Today I choose to rest in his presence.
Today I choose to share God's love with those I meet.
Today I choose to honor my husband as the man of God he is.
Today I choose to hear the voice of God in ways and places I never thought imaginable.
Today I choose to lean on You.

Exodus 5:22-6:5 " Moses returned to the LORD and said, "O Lord, why have you brought trouble upon this people? Is this why you sent me? Ever since I went to Pharaoh to speak in your name, he has brought trouble upon this people, and you have not rescued your people at all." Then the LORD said to Moses, "Now you will see what I will do to Pharaoh: Because of my mighty hand he will let them go; because of my mighty hand he will drive them out of his country." God also said to Moses, "I am the LORD. I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob as God Almighty, but by my name the LORD I did not make myself known to them. I also established my covenant with them to give them the land of Canaan, where they lived as aliens. Moreover, I have heard the groaning of the Israelites, whom the Egyptians are enslaving, and I have remembered my covenant."

As I read this passage last night I was reminded of the "Show Up, Shut Up, Let Go" but God added one for me. Be Free.

I think so often when we hit a hard place we want to go to God and let our entitlements kick in. "Why me God?". I think that God is faithful to answer our questions when we ask the right question. We need to be asking the purpose of the hardship not why me or how long. The Lord allows things into our lives to see where we stand. To see if we are a "reed" or a "rock". When Moses went to God and said "Why have you brought trouble to these people?" Notice how God replies, "Now". Now as in, now that you have sought my heart and my purpose, not your own will I can move on your behalf.

"Because of my mighty hand he will let them go; because of my mighty hand he will drive them out of this country." No one but God can rescue us from captivity. No one but God has the ability to keep His promises, and His plans for our lives if we would just show up and ask him what lesson he is wanting us to get out of the circumstances. However, notice that Moses sought the Lord and yet the Israelites continued to curse Moses. (See Exodus 5:21)They cried out to their God to free them but they didn't like the vehicle that God chose to use. A simple man, with an utterance problem. A man they had known all of his life. A man that lived in the desert for 40 years to get his Wilderness Survival Skills so that he could lead them through the Exodus. Yet, instead of seeking the will of God or being thankful for this vehicle they cursed the sent one.

The other thing that struck me. Even as they were cursing Moses, even as he was seeking the will of God. They were still grumbling. Verse 5 says "Moreover, I have head the groaning of the Israelites." God hears us when we don't shut up. When we complain to our co-workers about our responsibilities, our friends about our husbands, our spouses about our parents. The Omnipresence of God can hear us. We think we can do it behind closed doors because no one will hear us. Oh girls, let us remember that God hears us. Our every utterance. Matthew 5:27-28 tells us"You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery. But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." Okay, so you didn't tell anyone your grumblings, but what are your thoughts? What is in your heart? God can hear those utterances as well.

So God creates Passover. Very detailed, very methodical as to not leave anyone out. Then they get into the blood. The blood of a young lamb without defect. They take this blood and cover their door frames. Then roast and eat the lamb. Their obedience was the only ticket to not being hit by the Plague of the Firstborn. The ONLY way. Obedience. They let go of their way of thinking, they let go of trying to do it their way, they laid it all down with that little lamb, they shed his blood and ate of the roast and in the middle of the night. "During the night Pharaoh summoned Moses and Aaron and said, "Up! Leave my people, you and the Israelites! Go, worship the LORD as you have requested. Take your flocks and herds, as you have said, and go. And also bless me." Exodus 12:31-32.

Did you see that? Pharaoh said, you and yours are FREE! I don't care how you go, but take everything that you have and get out of here, right now! Here's the next phase...go worship, in your freedom go worship. Go worship the Mighty Hand that has delivered you. Then as an after thought Pharaoh said, Bless Me. I now see that your God is real, please leave me some of that behind. Pharaoh wanted the blessing. He didn't know what to do with it but he wanted it.

Lord, even as you are trying to deliver us out of the bondage of slavery Lord I pray that we would seek your purpose. That we would willingly submit to our authorities Lord. That as you move your Mighty Hand against our enemies Lord that we will find your face, your will and your calling on our lives. Lord, give us willing spirits to be obedient to your details, to your directions and to your Word. Lord, thank you for giving us the freedom to walk away if we will just follow the path that you will light for us. Lord, thank you for saving our children. That you created a way when there was no way. Oh Lord, and when it is all said and done, let us continue to worship you and your goodness. Let us find a freedom in our worship that is pleasing to you. Finally Lord, let us share the blessing with someone who doesn't know you. Someone who questions your authority and your might. Lord, I give you all the glory and the honor and the praise. In Your Son's Holy Name I pray. Amen.

3 comments:

  1. I heard a man the other day say: "The joy is not in your circumstance; the joy is in the PURPOSE of the circumstance."

    My thought: "What you do when you are by yourself is who you REALLY are."

    Lord may we give you thanks in all things and Lord we pray you purify our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on sister. One of my confessions is "as I am being healed I can trust God to teach me I am not what I weigh." It was encouraging to be reminded that God hears me ALL the time and that He wants me to be free indeed. Love ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so very proud of you....you have come soooo far! Praise God!!!

    ReplyDelete