11.09.2007

The "S" Word

Banzai: Mufasa!
Shenzi: Ooooh! Do it again!
Banzai: Mufasa!
Shenzi: Ooooh!
Banzai: Mufasa, Mufasa, Mufasa, Mufasa!
Shenzi: Ooooh!
[breaks into laughter]
Shenzi: And it tingles me!

Every time I hear the word submit this is the conversation that goes through my head. I love submission. I love that if I submit to everyone I am asked to that I will have prosperity and that the Lord will bless me. I will be living in the will of God and I will be dancing like Simba in the beginning of the movie The Lion King.

Job 22:21 "Submit to God and be at peace with him; in this way prosperity will come to you."

I like that one. That one has a promise. I can submit to God. He is perfect, never lets me down, knows my perfect will, created me, I sit in awe of Him therefore, I can submit.

Ladies you may want to slide your toes back...I might step on some of them this morning (*in my best TD Jakes impression*).

Ephesians 5:21 "Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ."

To ONE ANOTHER? You mean more than my God, more than just my authorities, more than just my husband. Oh have no fear there are times I struggle in those areas as well but this whole ONE ANOTHER? Lord, do we just mean believers, or are we talking everyone here? Paul was talking to the Church of Ephesus in this passage. They were to hold each other accountable. Sometimes when we get out on our own without someone to hold us accountable we get go into what I call La La Land. The verses before this are where Paul tells them don't get drunk on wine but in the Spirit. He is talking believers here.

About 2 weeks ago, I was in our town's small Post Office parking lot. As I was walking back to my truck after mailing something this interaction caught my eye. There is a white car, I am thinking it was an Accord, and around the back license plate is one of those black things that says "God is Awesome". This car and another white car, this one was a large very nice BMW with out of state tags are bumper to bumper both of them trying to back out of their spots at the same moment. No one looked to see if anyone was backing out. They just assumed in their "God is Awesome", "I ain't from 'round here" mentalities that they were the only ones wanting to leave the parking lot at that moment. Then in a split second someone laid on their horn. Rooting for the home team I am looking at the "God is Awesome" car to see her reaction. Her reaction...She is the one laying on the horn.

I have a back driveway, I drive a large SUV and although I have a backup sensor, one of the main selling points of this house is that I can pull into the carport, park, then I don't have to back out all I have to do is drive down the back drive which takes me to the main road. I even get a light there if I want to turn left which is a great thing during leaf season up here. When we first moved here the building at the end of my back drive was empty and I could take the back drive like a rollercoaster at Disney. Then about 2 years ago a new company moved in and they have trucks that have to back up to the loading dock and they blocked my way out. Not liking this new arrangement I let them know of my frustration by laying on my horn. Now you know why I don't have any Christian stickers or emblems on my vehicle. They came running out and moved the truck and I went on about my merry little life. Until I told my husband about it. See he is a reasonable man. In my mind he would march down there and give them a piece of my mind. He did go down and speak to them, then he came home and told me that I was in the wrong.

"WHAT?!" "Honey, they have to unload their trucks, you do have another way to get out, you need to have some patience and if it is blocked just back up and turn around." "Dadgum, you mean I have to give up my convenience and my turn light?" "Yes honey, sometimes you do."

I am happy to report that 2 years later, that 95% of the time that I get can get through and the rest of the time I just back up and drive around the other way, forsaking my precious traffic light. My truck is a Diesel and they can hear me coming and there have been many occasions that they have moved their trucks when they heard me coming down the hill.

"Lord, is this what you mean by submitting to one another?"

1 Corinthians 8:9 "Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak."

Now I get it. I have to submit to others as I would submit to you. Lord, as if you owned that building, Lord as if you drove the BMW. I don't have to be first, I don't have to be right. I am to shine your light, and to be salt in the earth. I am supposed to die to self. Oh, it's all becoming crystal clear for me now Lord. Lord, that lady with the $150 worth of coupons at the store, with the 8 screaming kids, I am not more precious than her either am I Lord? No, my little one and you might want to learn a thing or two about being a good steward by watching her.

Lord, how many times I have failed at this. How many times I have fought for my own way. Thinking that as a Daughter of the King that everyone should bow as I walk by and get out of my way. How many times I have thought that my schedule was more important, that I had more rights than the one who I chose to offend. Lord, I repent of that this morning. I am sorry that I have disregarding your children in such a blatant way. Lord, we are all precious in your sight. We all have a role, and a purpose in your Destiny for us as your children. All the children of the world Lord. Whether we agree with them or not we are to show your light and your love to them. Demanding our own way doesn't do that. Lord, I thank you for the word submit. I thank you that as every day passes you are teaching me more and more what it means. Lord, I submit to you, and I choose to submit to others as unto you. I love you Lord, let me love your children Lord. Let me see them through your eyes and not my own. Lord, I give you all the glory and the honor and praise. You are the great I AM, and you are worthy of so much more than I could ever give. In your Son's righteous name I pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment