11.19.2007

Obedience vs. Sacrifice

1 Samuel 15:22 "But Samuel replied:
"Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices
as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD ?
To obey is better than sacrifice,
and to heed is better than the fat of rams."

Why do we so often think our plan is better than our Creators? I know personally for me that God's timing, I find it to be a challenge on most days. I want to fight the fight, I want to push forward, I want to strive for the next great thing. It isn't that my motives aren't pure. They really are, I want to see salvations, I want to see the harvest, my problem is I want to see them RIGHT NOW!

So often we will "sacrifice ourselves". "Well, the only way it's going to happen is if I do it." "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Yes, I wholly agree. However, wouldn't it be easier to walk in the supernatural provision that comes in obedience? Often times we think we have to fight the whole battle, kill every giant, take over the world, because we are unwilling to wait upon the Lord. Yes my dear one, patience is also an act of obedience.

Jeremiah 7:22-24 "For when I brought your forefathers out of Egypt and spoke to them, I did not just give them commands about burnt offerings and sacrifices, but I gave them this command: Obey me, and I will be your God and you will be my people. Walk in all the ways I command you, that it may go well with you. But they did not listen or pay attention; instead, they followed the stubborn inclinations of their evil hearts. They went backward and not forward."

Did you catch that? Verse 24 says they wouldn't pay attention and were stubborn, they couldn't move forward. Reminds me of days with my own kids. Walking out of the door, its time to leave. I told them an hour ago to get ready, and to brush their teeth. They come walking out of their rooms with no shoes and they still haven't brushed their teeth. They weren't paying attention, and guess what...now we aren't moving forward.

Father God is giving me my own directions. Am I too distracted to hear him? Did I catch every detail or did I just hear what I wanted to hear? Am I willing to make a sacrifice of working extra volunteer hours, or writing a bigger tithe check instead of just saying "Yes Sir." Do I think that if I am nice to my grace grower that is enough to keep me from God's wrath? Do I walk in a Godly fear of the Lord? Or do I just tune him out because I am so busy building an alter at which to lay my pittance of sacrifices? "One minute Lord, let me finish this sacrifice of time so that I can come into your presence". Guess what you never make it. There is always something in that in box isn't there? Here is what I have discovered. In 34 years, no matter what the state of my house when I go to bed, it will still be there waiting for me, in the same exact manner when I get up in the morning. There is nothing more important in my life than the time that I give to God in his presence so that I can be clear on his vision for me today. How can I be obedient if I don't take the time to read his Words, or to hear his voice?

I have heard it said that "God, will tell you what to do. Satan, will tell you how to do it?". How often times we see the vision. God shares with us a glimpse of what is yet to come. Then somewhere in us a voice says "Oh, I know we can......", or "Well if we wait, we will lose out". Then in an blatant disregard of obedience, we move forward without waiting for the battle plan. Inquire of the Lord in everything. If he knows the hairs on our heads, if he can feed the sparrows don't you think He has a game plan for you?

Reading the Old Testament, time and time again we see how God rescued those who obeyed him. There were some mighty battles going on back then, and if there was even an ounce of disobedience God would hand over the Israelites to their enemies. But why? Why would God forsake his own people? Because He wants nothing more than our love and our devotion.

John 14:15 "If you love me, you will obey what I command."

Even if that means, sitting when you want to move, serving when you are tired, loving the unlovable, embracing your grace growers, setting new boundaries or simply opening your mouth. When we are obedient God will move on our behalf. It doesn't matter if we have been disobedient in the past, as long as we repent and have reconciliation to God. Because when he is ready to move...Watch out!

Isaiah 41:8-16 The Message

"But you, Israel, are my servant.
You're Jacob, my first choice,
descendants of my good friend Abraham.
I pulled you in from all over the world,
called you in from every dark corner of the earth,
Telling you, 'You're my servant, serving on my side.
I've picked you. I haven't dropped you.'
Don't panic. I'm with you.
There's no need to fear for I'm your God.
I'll give you strength. I'll help you.
I'll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you.

"Count on it: Everyone who had it in for you
will end up out in the cold—
real losers.
Those who worked against you
will end up empty-handed—
nothing to show for their lives.
When you go out looking for your old adversaries
you won't find them—
Not a trace of your old enemies,
not even a memory.
That's right. Because I, your God,
have a firm grip on you and I'm not letting go.
I'm telling you, 'Don't panic.
I'm right here to help you.'

"Do you feel like a lowly worm, Jacob?
Don't be afraid.
Feel like a fragile insect, Israel?
I'll help you.
I, God, want to reassure you.
The God who buys you back, The Holy of Israel.
I'm transforming you from worm to harrow,
from insect to iron.
As a sharp-toothed harrow you'll smooth out the mountains,
turn those tough old hills into loamy soil.
You'll open the rough ground to the weather,
to the blasts of sun and wind and rain.
But you'll be confident and exuberant,
expansive in The Holy of Israel!"

Oh Father how we lose sight of your power. How we think that we can do it on our own. Lord, I repent of my will and my pride. Father, I know that you paid for me in full. That even as you have bought me Father that I serve you with a willing heart. That I come to you this day Father and say yet again, I Surrender All. Lord, I align with your timing, I align with your will for my life. I chose today to be selfless, I chose to love everyone until I get called home to you my precious Father and Lord. Lord, I chose as an act of my free will to be obedient to your voice, no matter who uncomfortable that may be for my flesh, because your anointed Jesus suffered more than I can even fathom on the Cross and Lord, as he was obedient unto death, Lord, let me your daughter, your creation, Lord let me have a heart of obedience like that. Lord, that even unto death let me carry our your desires for my life. Lord, I have nothing to fear but you. Everything else is just a bleep on the radar compared to you. Father, I give you everything that I have, and I say Lord have your way in me. All Glory, all Honor, all Praise, belongs to you and you alone Father God. I thank you for the Cross, I thank you for the Nails and Lord today I chose to be obedient. In Jesus' Mighty Powerful Victorious Name. Amen.


1 comment:

  1. I too am a home school Mom of four children. I found your devotion right on target. I commend you for your precious time to be willing to be used for Gods purpose in your life. All too well I know the strains being mom, teacher, wife, etc. can place on you as an individual, it is so easy to just throw up your hands and say "o.k. God you say you won't put more on us than we can handle, but have you looked down here at my plate lately?" So, thank you for your dedication. It was well needed today. Love In Christ, Cindy from Florida

    ReplyDelete