4.06.2009

Friends.. the wind beneath my wings.



A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails.  ~Donna Roberts

I don't know about anyone else... or how they survive without them but the lift I need when I am down... is my girl friends.  We all have people we know but I can honestly say that in my life time until I met my friends here that friendship wasn't something I was good at.  I have walked away from some people I have really cared about... but the friendship wasn't healthy and there was a time to let go and to heal.  I really didn't know anything about friendships until I hit my thirties. 

The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart.  ~Elisabeth Foley

Now I have one friend from middle school and despite the fact that we have been friends for over 20 years and haven't lived in the same town forever... she is the one I call when I want to remember who I used to be.  She reminds me of high school and how far I have come... she is one of the greatest encouragers on this adventure of my life.  But we don't family together, we don't know each other's kids... we are phone friends that would jump on a plane in an emergency and use each other's homes as fall out shelters.  

A friend is the one who comes in when the whole world has gone out.  ~Grace Pulpit

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had.  ~Author Unknown

Then I have my life friends, our kids are in similar activities, we parent each others kids, we hold each other accountable.  We love one another and we are dependable friends.  We are loyal, we are practical and these friends know that my toilet often has an orange ring and that there are hair balls larger than cats under most of my furniture.  These are the friends that will make sure that my toes are painted when they put me in the grave and that there is not moldy food in my fridge.  These are the friends that my children will look to for strength... and call things like Momma2 and beg to spend time with.  They feed my entire family... and there is a level of understanding that you don't get with just anyone.  I love these friends. These are the friends that when crisis hits, sit with you, never uttering a word - but just sitting. Not demanding... just bringing comfort in their presense.

A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails.  ~Donna Roberts

I have some friends that are only "my" friends.  Our husbands don't spend any time together.  Our children know one another but they don't spend any time together.  These are the friends that hold my hair and pet me when I sob uncontrollably.  These are the friends that expect the best out of me at all times.  When I stumble they immediately come along side and direct me back to my Savior.  They pray for me, they encourage me with scripture... they are my therapist and my greatest source of edification.  They never leave me to my own devices... they never crawl into the pit with me.  They have earned the right to speak into every area of my life.  They are my mentors, my friends... my strength.  They call me out of the darkness and remind me of God's purpose in my life... being with them makes me a better person... and strengthens my relationship with Jesus.  They ask the hard questions... and they wait for the answer even in my evasive attempt the change the subject.  

A real friend is someone who would feel loss if you jumped on a train, or in front of one.  ~Author Unknown

My husband is my adventure friend.  When I want to hike, or mountain bike... when I want to be challenged physically and to get dirty... he is that friend.  He is beginning to get more and more of my hurts and as I allow him to see my vulnerable side he is learning how to deal with my pain and my tears.  He is my protector, my warrior... and my Mr. Fix it.  However, he brings out my endurance... and shows me things about myself that I never would have learned if I hadn't hiked those 5 miles...  We parent together, we plan vacation together... we ride out this adventure of life together.  He can hurt me more than anyone else... and has... but he is one of the most faithful people I have in my life... he doesn't walk away when it gets hard.  He digs in his heels and says... this may be the pathway to hell but we are walking together.  

What I know is that all of these people shape me.  They have seen me over the last few years lay down my cloak of protection... They have seen me without my mask.  They have encouraged me to love myself... so that I could love them better.  They have taught me to trust myself... and to let down my guard.  Whether they are in my life everyday, or on my IM window... they have sought to know me... the have deemed be deserving of thier time and energy... and they bless my socks off.  Constantly... and everyday.  They are the chocolate icing on my cake.  They make it bearable... and I am honored to call you all my besties... because you all have a place in my heart.  

But oh! the blessing it is to have a friend to whom one can speak fearlessly on any subject; with whom one's deepest as well as one's most foolish thoughts come out simply and safely.  Oh, the comfort - the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person - having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all right out, just as they are, chaff and grain together; certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then with the breath of kindness blow the rest away.  ~Dinah Craik, A Life for a Life, 1859

You can find more great friend quotes here.

May the Lord bless you and keep you... until we meet again. 

1 comment:

  1. I know we must be related somehow! We think way too much alike! Very scary! Very strange, yet, somewhat comforting!

    ReplyDelete