1.26.2009

Let me explain the shoe thing...

When I was in the seventh grade at Landon Jr High my parents had just recently divorced and there wasn't a lot of money to be had.  I was totally excited the day my mother took me to Kinney shoe store and bought me shoes. A pair of white sandles... the ones that you wrapped around your ankles and tied.  I thought they were cool - I thought that they made me cool.

I was in my advanced English class last class of the day.  We had to write a paper to describe someone in our class.  It was an exercise in adjectives and details.  Leanne Zebriski's first line of her paper that she read aloud went something like this, "She wears the same pair of shoes to school everyday."...  

That is the moment I go back to everytime someone mentions that I have an abundance of shoes.  

I can go back farther and remember quitting dance classes at the ripe age of 5 because I had bigger feet than everyone.  They had a box of tap shoes that you hunted through to find a pair that would fit you before class.  The instructors did it to save costs for the parents.  I hated it.  Told my mother I hated dance and I never went back.  As much as I wanted to dance it was all wasted on a dance shoes.

Shoes are a thing for me.  I like them, but I hate to wear them.  I guess that's the Florida girl in me.  If I find a comfortable pair, I will buy a multitude of them in different colors.  Right now my favorites are still Crocs and my newest love are my new Keen boots.  I hate tennis shoes and wish that Nike or one of those types could make an attractive tennis shoe.  I have a very large foot for a women and wear a women's 10 in most shoes but 11's in Nikes... probably why the disdain towards tennis shoes.  I love flip floes... always have always will.  I prefer Tevas for comfort but usually buy 4-5 pairs of Old Navy cheapies to wear around the house.

I used to be a barefoot girl until we got Valentine Grace, her and her sister broke me of walking through my house barefoot when they were puppies.  Now I always have something on my feet.  

The other thing that I used to be a stickler about... pedicures.  You can ask my friends and they will tell you all about it.  We all have a thing... feet just happen to be mine.  

Isaiah 52:7 How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, "Your God reigns!"


No comments:

Post a Comment