1.19.2009

The Soup Kitchen

The man
with his bag - 2 pairs of shoes attached
Standing
with his arms crossed 
Pain
colors his face
Family 
is but a fleeting fantasy.

He loads the bus, spilling the coffee
From the styrofoam cup they gave him
inside as he waited.

He feels blessed and anxious at the same time - 
With great anticipation of his first shower in days.

I patted him on the arm as I walked by
and thought how odd that this man
this homeless man - stirs a desire within me.

to assure him
to tell him he is going to be safe
to mother him-

The desire to bundle him up like a small child
  and rock his pain away
Even as I sing a lullaby in his ear.

The prayers and the blessings come for him naturally-

I am just thankful when God
loans me his glasses.



For more rambling writings check out... Flutterings.



No comments:

Post a Comment